Income Tax Preparation Class

Tax Document Checklist

Your personal tax document checklist

When taxes and life change, the checklist of what you need to bring to file your return changes, too. Let’s create a 2021 checklist for you taking into account your personal situation and the new tax code.
Select Statement

Life changes quickly and so can your tax documents

Select the statements that apply to you and see which documents you’ll need to file your taxes.

Have a W-2 / am employed

Self employed

Own a Small Business

Have Childerns and/or dependants

Own a Home

Sold a House

Own a rental property

Have Student loans

Have tuition

Sold Stocks/ Mutual Funds

Have Student loans

Had $1500 in interest

Donated to Charity

Federally declared Disaster

Complete your document checklist

Whether you use a Tax Pro or file by yourself, many of these documents will be necessary to complete your return. Use our checklist tool to see which documents apply to you.


  • Your Social Security number or tax ID number
  • Your spouse’s full name and Social Security number or tax ID number
  • Your unexpired government issued ID
  • Your spouse’s unexpired government issued ID
  • IRS Notice 1444-C (there may be more than one) or Letter 6475 shows total Stimulus payments
  • IRS Letter 6419 shows total Advance Child Tax Credit payments


  • Dates of birth and Social Security numbers or other tax ID numbers
  • Childcare records (including the provider’s tax ID number) if applicable
  • Form 8332 when the child’s custodial parent is releasing their right to claim a child to the noncustodial parent (if applicable)


    • Employed
      • Forms W-2
    • Unemployed
      • Unemployment (1099-G)
    • Self-Employed
      • Forms 1099-NEC and 1099-K
      • Income records to verify amounts not reported on 1099s
      • Records of all expenses – check registers or credit card statements, and receipts
      • Business-use asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation
      • Home office information, if applicable
      • Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040ES)
    • Rental Income
      • Records of income and expenses
      • Rental asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation
      • Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040ES)
    • Retirement Income
      • Pension/IRA/annuity income (1099-R)
      • Traditional IRA basis (prior-year Forms 8606 showing amounts already taxed)
      • Social Security/RRB income (SSA-1099, RRB-1099)
    • Savings & Investments or Dividends
      • Interest, dividend income (1099-INT, 1099-OID, 1099-DIV)
      • Income from sales of stock or other property (1099-B, 1099-S)
      • Dates of acquisition and records of your cost or other basis in property you sold (if basis is not reported on 1099-B)
      • Expenses related to your investments
      • Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040ES)
    • Other Income & Losses
      • State refunds (Form 1099-G)
      • Income from K-1s either as investment or as active owner
      • Gambling income (W-2G or records showing income, as well as expense records)
      • Jury duty records
      • Hobby income and expenses
      • Prizes and awards
      • Trusts
      • Royalties (1099-MISC)
      • Any other 1099s received
      • Record of alimony paid/received with ex-spouse’s name and SSN
      • Health Savings Account and long-term care reimbursements (1099-SA or 1099-LTC) Deductions
    • Home Ownership
      • Form 1098 or other mortgage interest statements
      • Real estate and personal property tax records
    • Charitable Donations
      • Cash amounts donated to religious organizations, schools, other charitable organizations
      • Records of non-cash charitable donations
      • Amounts of miles driven for charitable purposes
    • Medical Expenses
      • Amounts paid for healthcare insurance and to doctors, dentists, hospitals
      • Miles driven for medical purposes
      • Travel expenses for medical, including hotels, planes, tolls, parking, etc
    • Health Insurance
      • Form 1095-A if you have health insurance through a State Marketplace (Exchange)
    • Childcare Expenses
      • Daycare paid for a child under age 13 so the taxpayer (and spouse) can work
      • Wages paid to a babysitter
    • Educational Expenses
      • Forms 1098-T from educational institutions
      • Receipts for qualified educational expenses
      • Records of scholarships or fellowships
      • Form 1098-E for student loan interest
    • State & Local Taxes or Sales Tax
      • Amount of state/local income tax paid (other than wage withholding), or amount of state and local sales tax paid
      • Invoice showing amount of vehicle sales tax paid
      • Amount of real estate taxes paid
      • Amount of personal property taxes paid
    • Retirement & Other Savings
      • Form 5498-SA showing HSA contributions
      • Form 5498 showing IRA contributions
      • All other 5498 series forms (5498-QA, 5498-ESA)
    • Federally Declared Disaster
      • City/county you lived/worked/had property in
      • Records to support property losses (appraisal, clean-up costs, etc.)
      • Records of rebuilding/repair costs
      • Insurance reimbursements/claims to be paid
      • FEMA assistance information
Scroll to Top